ToMato Curry: A ‘naadan’ Kerala style recipe that makes for a good side-dish. Another tangy coconut based curry to love. ‘Thakkali curry’
ToMato Curry: A 'naadan' Kerala style recipe that makes for a good side-dish for rice. Another tangy coconut based curry to love.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ with some water to a smooth mixture. Set aside
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Crackle mustard seeds, add fenugreek seeds, dry red chilli and curry leaves. Add chopped small onion. Stir until very lightly browned. Add slivered garlic clove and a small pinch of finely chopped ginger(optional), slit green chillies and stir for a minute. Add the cubed tomatoes and turmeric powder and kashmiri chilli powder. Stir well. Close with lid and cook for few minutes.
- Add the ground coconut mixture, salt and about 1-1 1/2cups of water and simmer for 3-4minutes, stirring gently every now and then. When it reaches to boil stage, remove from flame. Add more water for a lighter consistency. I prefer it slightly thicker.
- Serve with rice and poppadum.
- I sometimes add sauteed okra.
- Add or reduce chillies. This is normally a mildly spiced coconutty dish.